Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Mapping Out The Days Ahead and Thinking, "Okay, Karalvan Cartographer, It's Not Looking Too Promising." For Now, Focusing On the Classes

Yes, I watched Star Wars again last night. Don't judge me. I also spent the day behind my laptop and actually got dizzy from all the screen time. Talked to Lossine in Syracuse, now teaching 6th grade, and his exhaustion exacerbated my own, "Crandall, I'm still Covid-tired and I had it back in November." Susan, too, in Florida texted me simply to say, "Will this complete drain ever end?"

I'm wondering the same. 

And this morning, yes in the cold, they will be here at 7 a.m. to install the two windows that were supposed to be put in two weeks ago. They are sending a full crew, but I'm trying to figure out how I am going to work in a house that is likely to be very cold as they do this. I'm also thinking about Karal the spaz. Don't think she will handle it well. And I have to teach tonight and tomorrow morning, meaning that everything has to be arranged by 4 pm so I can run copies. 

The plan, too, was to head to Syracuse after class on Wednesday, but I'm now realizing that I won't have a second to put the house back together until then, let alone pack. And there are storms coming across the country that don't make it seem like a good idea to head out of dodge, even if I do want to see family and the Louisville/Syracuse game. 

To be honest, thinking about it makes me want to curl under the blanket and sleep some more. I think this is what people mean by the, "Don't push. This thing hangs on for a very long time, even after it's supposedly over."

I am excited, though, as I chose varying cartographer art for slides tonight, as we're prepping to read Born a Crime by Trevor Noah and we're doing non-fiction, Beers & Probst work around Apartheid rules, Jim Crow Laws, and 21st Century Gerrymandering. I figured maps was one way to frame the evening, and each week I like to share different artists with my students. This is a win.

As I'm writing this post the night before it will publish online, I'm already getting tired of what's to come the next two days. But, onward it goes. Onward it goes. 

Oh, Anakin's face horrified me under the mask of Darth Vader as a kid. Now, he just looks like a middle-aged man from the Class of 1990 who happens to have a few scars.

Hey, it's February! Onward.