Wednesday, February 16, 2022

The Frog is Fifty. As in Hawaii 5-0, As in Half a Centenary, the Golden Jubilee...As in 5:30 A.M. This Morning, got Up for Work When I Was Born! I'm Twice My 25th Birthday. Phew. How?

I taught last night until late, and I'm out of the house this morning until the afternoon. 5:30 a.m. wake-up call. That's when I came into the world as a lil' polliwog. 

My birthday happens to fall in the middle of the week, hump day, when I can't even process what is actually happening. With that noted, I also was strategic, because typically my birthday fell in CNY winter recess, so I could never celebrate my birthday in school. 

So, knowing I am working with 75 5th graders this morning with my 19 undergraduates, I decided, "Crandall. You're going to throw a school party you never had." I got balloons, snacks, treats, and Crandall stupidity going into the morning out in schools. I can handle that. Things are gonna be poppin'

Last night, I brought gourmet red-velvet cupcakes for my graduate students, too, and when I got home, I had a Padlet created by Susan James mailed to my email account. She's been working hard on capturing my birthday in its entirety by those that know and love me. I still haven't spent enough time to absorbing all the love. It's a Padlet of Love. Absolutely amazing (see below).

Yes, I got my first Fifty birthday card, so I know it's official (and I'm channeling my undergraduate days when the lady who cleaned our floor turned 40. Her sign said, "Lordy, Lordy, Pattys Forty" and the slogan resonated with me.

I was thinking, "Testicle shifty, cus Crandall's fifty," but didn't think that would go over well.

I now realize the Padlet will post at the end of this post. 

So, I have all the Amazon, UPS, home-mailed gifts in my dining room, and I know more packages are arriving today. I will be singing and dancing with late elementary kids until lunchtime and then heading off to middle school land until this afternoon.

Truth be told, I then plan to collapse. I have no idea what's been going on in the universe, but I know I'm exhausted. I hope to be home by 4 p.m., to take Karal for a walk, and then maybe make a grilled cheese. I will then open packages, watch Susie Q's brilliant birthday wishes collected on Padlet and, perhaps, pour myself a drink.

I think I grew up shying away from attention on my birthday and being two days after Valentine's Day I really didn't think much of the day or celebration. But I know 50 is supposed to me a mile-marker, and I want to be sure that I give the day the attention it deserves.

In truth, I just love knowing that people are thinking about me. That's enough. So, I'm off on the ground running. I'll be normal again sometime this afternoon. 

Now, if my joints freeze up walking down the school stairs....that's just something new in this midlife thing. I'm getting used to it.

All love to friends and family. I appreciate it.

Made with Padlet