Thursday, February 17, 2022

The Verdict is That Turning 50 Means that Friends & Family Can Dress You as Elton John, and the Fact Is...Well, You're an Aging Fart. Get Use To It.

When I set out to write this post this morning, I realized that all the documents I had open at 5:30 a.m. on my computer yesterday were still open this morning. I never closed any of them because I never got back to them. Instead, I was on campus by 8 a.m. and in Bridgeport Public Schools by 8:45. We had a great day of setting up arguments and dialogue with 5th graders, and I finally I had the in-school birthday party I've always wanted. 

I then returned home to a lifetime supply of wind-up toys, gift certificates, and candy, only to fall asleep on my couch, then get invited to dinner, in which I could cash-in some of the gift certificates.

This is all to say the day was a blur, and I still didn't get to the Amazon packages that have piled up this week. I didn't have the energy. I am overjoyed, however, by the artistry of Susan James. The Padlet she created is mesmerizing and I will be working my way through it for many days to come. I can't believe so many people gathered in this space to offer a hello. 

Made with Padlet
As I opened up gift bags and put on clothing, I realize midlife is simply transforming me into Elton John. That's what they want from us: feathers, big glasses, toys, balloons, and glitter. 

I am forever thankful to the 5th grade team at Cesar Batalla, too, for making the entire morning a true delight, to my colleagues at Fairfield, who obviously collected a chunk of change for all this wind-up toys and gift cards, to Susan and Rose for sending the balloons this morning, I think I will cut into the other gifts after I finish a second cup of coffee. It was too much attention for one day, and I wanted to crawl under the rock where I can live with the worms and potato bugs I'm used to.

The Padlet, though...that was something else...I will cherish that for a long time, although I'm wondering how it is that so much "age" happens from 45-50. That is when you officially transform to geezer. Phew. It's like all my youth went "poof" an suddenly I look old.

All love to any and all who contributed. I am going to piece my way through this for a very long time.