Wednesday, October 19, 2022

#WriteOut Day 9 - When Crandall Thinks About Centering (Hula-Hooping) The Work We Do...Digital Doodling the Epicenter, @ElyseEA

Somewhere along my environmental studies, I discovered rhizomatic perennials, which are blooms that come back every year. They can be cut up, divided, and sent to new soil, always ready to begin anew: Hostas, irises,  Lillies, black-eyed Susans, etc. I am living in my third home, and at each I have been intentional on spreading the joy of such plants. First year seep, second year creep, third year leap. 

During my Ph.D I began reading Kevin Leander, a man who blew my brain with rhizomatic thinking and spatial theories of literacy. It was heavy, but it made sense. Nothing is linear as we once thought, and connections, distractions, possibilities, histories, complications, rhythms, and wormholes abound. The tree of knowledge, where all is connected with common roots, isn't necessarily the best metaphor. It's a popular image, yes: tattoos, emblems, Celtic symbols, and circular, a recycling of life. 

Rhizomatic honesty, however, is that one can't assume another shares the same roots. Rather, there may be separations, new shoots, varying foundations, etc., that result from divisions, relocations, separations, and (to be blunt) colonialism. Roots are much more interesting than what one assumed. They are historical, crossed, changed, dispersed, entangled, and complicated. 

This brings me to Elyse Eidman-Aadahl and why I placed my hula hoop on her this morning. The photo is of her at the NYS Fashion Week, when singer John Legend hosted the NWP Executive Director, a CWP-Fairfield teacher who introduced him at the event, and me...the piece of toilet paper that dragged at their heals. It was a once in a lifetime experience and one of the greatest evenings of my life, with an even better award: the opportunity to invest in 400 youth in six schools.

Fast forward to four months before Covid hit, when NCTE/NWP was hosted in Baltimore. Elyse took me out to dinner and asked, "What might NWP do to connect with the YA Author world?" At the time, I pitched 50 authors with mini-commercials for NWP. Obviously the pandemic changed that and The Write Time resulted....something bigger than I could ever imagine.

I am thinking of rhizomes this morning, Elyse, and the importance of both. The NWP network (just like the NPS network) have common roots like those characterized by a tree. The power of the National Writing Project, thought, is that it is rhizomatic by nature. A shoot can be broken off from one site and planted elsewhere, so that new teacher leadership and writing excellence can grow. It's not still connected to the original plant, but is safe and ready to do their thing elsewhere....to become something anew.

When I think of Elyse, I think of digital literacy, fake news, critical thinking, and online possibilities. I remember at a Spring meeting in DC where she gave a talk about checking facts, finding resources, facilitating conversations about cyberspace, and interrogating the availability of misinformation. It was a fascinating presentation, but I remember wondering why this was the choice. I had no idea that she was a soothsayer. I did know, however, she was an incredible mentor to us all, and a phenomenal leader.

There are many layers to NWP, but there are also numerous root systems where every site can build their own gardens. Elyse has been our core, our moon...a light for the darkness, as well as a believer in space ships and our launches. She's also kept us in a community with her digital insight and vision. She stabilizes the waters helping us to find a flow in our canoes, especially as the water is most turbulent.

Ubuntu. We all are because of her. As I continue my digital doodling for #WriteOut and placing my lens on something worth exploring in words, I couldn't help but center Elyse for a bit. Leadership is a tricky position to have, especially while working with a nation of many voices. Yet, she does so with ease...pizazz...spunk...and brilliance. 

For all of this, I am thankful. It's always a delight to know that what I do in Connecticut is an offshoot of the history and tradition. What's even better is that we all stay connected and look to the night sky for the light.