Monday, October 3, 2022

It's a Rule, Karal. We Can't Turn the Heat On Until November 1st. October is for Suffering and Blankets. I Explained This to You Last Year.

Okay, October...you're coming in like a freeze, so you'd better go out like a tropical breeze. I didn't anticipate it would get this cold so quickly. Pam turned to soup-making, and Leo and Bev brought good breads. We also had roasted potatoes, sausage, kale, carrots, and squash. I get harvest meals, but I'm still thinking about Walnut Creamery.

I did take the air out of the two paddle boards and loaded up the kayak for winter storage. It seems like we snapped a finger from dry, no rain, humid heat to "Is it supposed to snow tonight?" Where's the in-between?

While my mom is pondering waffles (what's that you say? Under the Kumquat tree?) and my sisters are apple picking, I'm in Connecticut debating the thermostat. It's way too soon. Karal, too, is curling up on the blankets, absorbing body heat because she's not ready for the cold. 

Nope. I will sleep cold with blankets. I love that time of year. Freeze outside the bed and then get under the covers to warm up.

Starting the week out with professional development in New Haven, and ending it with professional development in Wilton. There's a lot of reading, writing, planning, and teaching in-between. I'm also hoping there will be some warm-up, too, and this is just the after-fart of Ian trickling through the northeast. I know it's October, but I'm not ready for these chills quiet yet. 

Karal agrees. I know, because she's burrowed in my legs trying to keep her nose warm.