Monday, October 31, 2022

A Little Holiday Festivity Driving Up to Big Y: I Saw the Wheel Chair & Skeleton, but Didn't See the Dog or License Plate Until I Got Home. Happy Halloween

I'm sorting this snapshot in, "Well, that's an adorable coincidence category. 

And I'm hoping I have enough candy (and books) for this evening's round of trick or treaters. Some years, the kids flock to my neighborhood and some years it is quieter. If today's weather is anything like yesterdays, I imagine I will be out of goods rather quickly.

I also saw this meal from a NYC restaurant that caught my attention: seared chicken breast, crumbled Italian sausage, tomatoes, & pepperoncini in a creamy lemon white sauce with roasted potatoes & basil. Well, there was no recipe online for that, so I made it up, and also added yellow, orange, and purple carrots. Boom! I succeeded, and doubt I'll ever be able to match that flavor-fest again.

Last night, I fed Oona, Pam, Leo, Bev, and Jackie and we were all wiping our Italian bread into the sauce until it was all gone (and Bev & Leo don't eat meat...accept when friends prepare it for them). It took four hours to prepare, but it was worthy every bite. 

Today, it's grading and prepping until the classes begin anew for the week. Of course, I have also grilled chicken last night for the week, and what tiny bit was left over I left in the fridge on Mt. Pleasant. Let them fight over the last bites.

I didn't realize the purple carrots would turn the potatoes and cream sauce (in the vegetarian dish) purple, but it sort of worked for the Autumn weather. Jackie went to her herb garden and got me fresh sage, and Pam gave me lemon balm, so I'm going to research possible recipes for that to serve with shrimp and gnocchi next weekend. It's hard to find new flavors and tastes when you're 50, but I like experimenting and seeing what might be possible.  

It won't be long before I'm bones in a wheelchair, spewing into the universe, "Mehhhh," so I'm going to play while I can. I've never used pepperoncini before, but I'm guessing that was what added the feistiness to the dish. It was so, good. All night I was licking my teeth for leftover flavors...that is until I pulled out the maple cotton candy also found - something to cleanse the palate. So...so good. 

Tricks or Treats. It doesn't matter. Just enjoy yourself today.