Friday, October 7, 2022

Well, @JudyTenuta...I Didn't See This One Coming. I'm Just a Pig from Connecticut Who Was So Glad to Reconnect Last Year with a Love Goddess

Back in the 80s with my teenage buddies and adolescent friends, I remember HBOs comedy specials were a treat, and that when Judy Tenuta came on the scene, she was always fun to impersonate in social settings, because her stand-up was wonderfully odd. She and that accordion, the faces, the wit that cracked even her up, and her irreverence for what life is supposed to be. Why wouldn't we all want to worship such a love goddess?

Fast forward to 30 years (dang...that is what it is, isn't it) and one day I happened to find her Twitter account and became a follower. I could always rely on her quirkiness to put a smile on my face and sort of found inspiration from her daily posts and political commentary. In other words, she restored joy for what seems to be (more and more) a joyless time. That was inspiration enough to keep my weird sense of humor and original sensibilities. Who would know life was getting at her, too?

Yesterday was a rough day...so much so that I went out for a beer to process it...that wasn't the intent, but what it came to be. When I got home, I saw that Judy Tenuta passed. That was not on the radar, because her sense of humor seemed timeless and as if her zest for peculiar humor would be with us forever. I didn't know she was 72, and simply assumed she was forever trapped as a twenty-something...someone I looked up to in my teens as a fellow odd duck. Why not choose eccentricity when faced with the reality of the world?


Prayers up, Goddess. Worshipped you from afar and saw you as a star to ignite a daily smile. You were Brown School before I actually ever met Brown School. I hope many more like you come forward in the near future....as if your spirit dispenses into a million others for a better world. 

It could happen.