Tuesday, October 4, 2022

When a Principal Calls with One Request, "Can You Come Back and Bring Joy to Our Teachers," There's Only One Response. "I'll Be Right There."

It's almost been ten years since I did two years of work with Hill Central Academy in New Haven, although I've always come back for their poetry slam each spring. It was here we debuted the 1st 200 copies of The Crossover when we brought Kwame Alexander in to read Acoustic Rooster. I had read the book before hand and hired him to do PD with me (way before he arrived to where he is now - I saw it coming). The entire two years with the teachers were wonderful, and I'm excited they wanted me back.

I'd say 50% have retired from the school or moved on since I was there during that time.

The district is tasking schools with small group instruction, but Nicole Brown (was literacy coach and is now Principal) said, "Crandall, I need the instruction, but more importantly, we need your humor, motivation, happiness, and joy."

Shoot. She doesn't know I've morphed into a nasty, grumpy curmudgeon. I'm a total turd these days.

That's not true. I immediate went to Targets, bought 60 pairs of Halloween eye glasses so everyone could focus on one another, and then offered them a dialogue book to get them in conversation in small groups. After an hour, I said, "How'd it go?" 

The thing was, I didn't have to teach or be in command. They were all on task and enjoying one another and, when the returned at the end I was able to say, "Ta-da. You were in small groups and I was walking around eavesdropping and encouraging dialogue where I heard it. You successfully achieved what I was hoping to accomplish." 

Then they filled out a Gallagher one-pager of what they hope I will be able to do for them this year. I love these teachers and their dedication to the neighborhood school. It's a tough one - in fact, yesterday was extra tough - but the educators in this building just get it, dedicated their lives to it, and do the good work. I'm looking forward to returning in a few weeks, but right now, I have to plan for tonight's class.