Monday, October 17, 2022

#WriteOut Day 7. It's October, But I Still Have Summer Blooms, Which I'm Hoping to Be With Me Until the Holiday Breaks

As I walk around Stratford, I notice the majority of homes are skeletal, pumpkin-lined, and mum-frenzied, but I get to elate in the fact that my front yard (all hail the pre-hibernal sun) keeps my annuals blooming in purple, pink, and swirled delight through December. This I owe to the great warmer in the sky - the sun! (I'm sure there's a reason for this, one being that we haven't had a frost just yet).  Mr. Jack Frost hasn't planted his footsteps onto the lawn just yet, and I'm still thrilled that the Cosmos from Kaitlyn and Dominik's wedding that I threw into the soil last spring continues to work its magic. 

Ah, the sun. It is the energy that fuels so many of us: heated, internal car temperatures, front porches, grass growing, and annuals-thriving. 

That is why my Hula Hoop landed on the front lawn yesterday. I didn't engineer the garden to be so wonderful, but scattered seeds and and the warm sun allow this to be, even while leaves fall to the ground, people pull out their gloves & winter toboggans, and coats start to make an appearance. 

Ah-Ha! I still have remnants of summer showing their magic in the form of, "you can't kill me yet," annuals. This is magic and for that I'm extremely grateful. I should be charting this luck in my writer's notebook.

Alas, it's Monday. Temperatures will dip towards freezing and I'm unsure how much longer they will last, but I am hopeful. I have a #$$-load of work to do, but for now I will see the front garden and have hope (as will the occasional stray bee, butterfly, and ant, looking for the last snack before hibernation). I know they've lasted until Christmas on occasion, and I wonder, "Will this be such a year?"

 I am doubtful, but I can hope. Of course, today's rain doesn't seem to be as optimistic. It's gloomy out there, and very unlike yesterday when the hoop went out front with me.