Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Looking Forward to @DoodlebugKRY & @IwasakidSteam Tonight for a Special Show of the @WriteToConnect #Writeout 2022...Did a Little Digital Doodling Myself As I STEAM Ahead.

We've been very fortunate in Connecticut, as we've been able to tap the artful Karen Romano Young for several years for teacher institutes and collaborations with Weir Farm National Historical Park. One of our teachers, Denise Howe, introduced us to the great work of the Bethel-native artist, and we've been tapping her brilliance ever since. 

Tonight, at 7 p.m. EST, Karen Romano Young talks IWasAKid with educators from the across the United States about her work and the importance of doodling with young people in the classroom, especially as they make notebooks, collect new information, inquire, and problem solve their own learning. 

This past weekend, while hiking with Ranger Amanda at Weir Farm, I learned about Connecticut potatoes and the history of why they are so abundant in our state. I've been thinking on this, especially since I have two enormous Connecticut potatoes in my front yard (Yo, Rocky!). So, I spent part of yesterday afternoon in my digital notebook thinking about how I might make meaning of the local petrology of Stratford. I'm also thinking of Ms. Coffin, 8th grade Earth Science, and how much I hated learning about rocks. I have to admit, though, Dr. Richard Novack and Ranger Amanda have me highly curious about geology...so much so that I might even do a screening of Ice Age...I tend not to watch many movies, even if they are made for kids. But now I want to know.

You can RSVP to this evening's show by checking out the National Writing Project website, and then joining the NWP Teacher Studio. If you sign up, a link will be sent your way for the evening's program.

It's such. great way to kick off #WriteOut. Karen Romano Young is the perfect guest, indeed.

Notice I have a hula hoop that helped me focus on my lawn potatoes. Today, I'm going to read more about how the ice age shifted rock all throughout the northeast (and I'm intrigued by the Long Island Sound and it's role in it all). I really am a rock head when it comes to tectonics plates, internal cores, and sediment. There's so much to learn!

I'm digitally doodling and STEAMing ahead, indeed.