Sunday, October 9, 2022

Crafting Possibilities, Doodling, and STEAMing Ahead. A Crandall Saturday in Support of Teachers and Young People

There are days I simply hold my breath and hope that all will work out as it was originally conceived and envisioned. Yesterday was one of those days. 

It's hard to name a better way to spend a Saturday. First, kicking of #WriteOut 2022 at Weir Farm National Historical Park with Richard Novack, Ph.d., and Kristin Lessard, as we guided stellar educators on zeroing in on the science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics of Julian Alden Weir's farmstead. Second, hosting a community event at Possible Futures in New Haven, Connecticut with writer (award-winning writer) Jerry Craft. 

I will forever be grateful for the friends of CWP and the incredible teachers and young people who show up for writing in all of its forms. One of my favorite moments was a young man stock-piled with Jerry Craft books running into Possible Futures wondering where the author was and if his latest book was released. The enthusiasm and joy said it all.

And I'm now seeing Weir Farm in a new light. For years, I've seen the rock walks (and rocks) of the CT landscape, never considering the engineering nor knowing they were call Connecticut potatoes. Dang, I have Connecticut potatoes all over my own yard. But our tour of Weir Farm brought all of this forward on day one of our 2022 professional development and now I can't wait for more. 

You give an individual a hula hoop to focus, and it is amazing what possibilities are delivered to sketch, think about, name, label, and inquire. We now have etches of science, math, history, engineering, and technology in our notebooks to share with one another and to discuss, "What does this have to do with my own teaching."

The Great Whatever did well by us, too - the weather was beautiful, albeit a bit nippy, but still an incredible day to be outside and to gather inside. 

Here's to all who took part. I can't wait until we all meet up again, but now it is Sunday - a fun day of rest and off to Two Roads to celebrate the incredible artistry of Nick Robinson!