Monday, November 14, 2022

You Know It's Been a Semester When You Haven't Touched Summer Work Until November! Phew! But POW! is in the Work...Promise.

Once again I don't have an administrative assistant. In year's past, I've had graduate students and they've been extremely helpful organizing writing and first drafts of POW! Power of Words, the annual anthology of teachers and students. Each year, CWP-Fairfield publishes 100s of writers, and I love showcasing the work as a demonstration of what scholarship-in-action looks like. Alas, staff members who have helped me and been go-to people with CWP work have trickled away as the University saves money and hire leaders with varying visions for staffing. 

I'm doing what I can.

Yesterday, I spent twelve hours organizing and editing writers from 3rd through 12th grade, with a few hiccups, including the ubiquitous phenomenon of students not putting a name on their work and the habit of listening to the instructions part-way. This results in my having to have multiple files open to align writing with writers and intent. As phenomenal as the CWP-Fairfield teachers are in the summer, a few of the critters find a way to do things their own way: fonts that are enormous, submission of early drafts and not final ones, and the absence of titles and their names. I'm no longer gray...my hair is now going white.

Still, as I read the work and see what was accomplished, I can't help but be absolutely proud. This year in College Essay, for example, several kids alluded to the life-changing experiences with us during the summer months, including many English language learners who began with us in Ubuntu Academy.

It is also clear that what CWP's instructors do each day has a positive impact on the writing that results. More importantly, each piece radiates a joy of writing, which is a major goal for the work.

All of this is to say, "Hang on, folks. I'm working as hard as I can." When I have support, I've been able to get the publication out by this time of year. Without it, I work throughout weekends and holiday breaks - whenever I am not doing the other work I'm paid to do.

We're getting there, and I look forward to sending it off to be published. There is nothing that makes me happier than when parents call me to say how much this means to their writers.

One day at a time, Crandall. One day at a time.