Friday, November 18, 2022

Absolutely Fantastic to Work with the Brilliant, Divergent, Award-Winning Intellects in Support of @initiative211...Fantastic to Reunite & Plan Together @NCTE

I still shake my head that Dr. Shelbie Witte reached out to me a few years ago to tell me that a trifecta was actually a Super-fecta, after receiving a 2018 Divergent Award for Excellence from the Initiative for Literacy in a Digital Age. I've proudly served on the research board ever since, and this week at NCTE we've united several winners: Jennifer Dail, Chris Goering, Ian William O'Byrne, Detra Price-Dennis and the sage behind the initiative, Shelbie Witte, for conversation, planning, strategizing, and melding minds for the better. 

What an incredible opportunity for a dork like me to have (I took the picture...one I'm proud of).

Networking is a lot of things, but extra special are the moments when you get to meet with the very people you admire. You tap temples with pens and strategize for next steps in literacy work. I love every second of spending time with these people yesterday, and also extend a special congratulations goes out to Dr. Detra Price-Dennis, not only for her recent book award, but for the Outstanding Elementary Educator at NCTE 2022. Her receiving of this award was the 2nd highlight of a great day.

I'm holding my breath today, as it begins at 8 a.m. and ends and 9 p.m....non-stop obligations (and joy) in celebration of writing, reading, thinking, and the critical work we do. 

The crew above are VIP to me and I wish every one had the opportunity to work with each and every one of these thinkers. I'm fortunate to have opportunity to know them. They make me a better man.

But I need to get downstairs. I have a duffle bag worth of materials to present today.