Friday, November 4, 2022

Perhaps We Should Bring the Carrying Pigeons Back. I Wouldn't Mind Such Technology, nor the Anticipation of Mail

Or maybe even Paul Revere.

Or snail mail.

Crandall spent 9 hours yesterday, simply working to clear out the emails. Yes, many of them had course assignments coming in, but most of them needed immediate attention that I haven't found a second to get to...so I woke up, tackled bcrandall notifications, and found myself dizzy. Snap, I remember how it used to be, but this has quadrupled as emails are now 15-page manifestos. It is insane.

I miss the days of going to a mailbox and receiving information that I could eventually attend to and complete. Now, they come in as fast as I can read them, and yes, the majority is junk mail, but other items need an incredible amount of attention. And etiquette prevails, because there doesn't seem to be etiquette, especially the cohort that replies all, and then others reply all, etc. etc. Etc. Some of them I have to search 30 minutes just to find the reason they were originally sent.

Delete. Delete. Delete. Delete.

But many need more attention, where I need to jump onto Excel, or Workday, or a grant, or a research proposal, or a recommendation, or a grade, and then I have to go into my digital folders to work on a solution. I'm thinking about the filing cabinets in my office and now thinking, "are they obsolete? Any reason to keep all the paper now?" 

Nope. I don't think so. 

But a pigeon would be nice. I could wait a couple of days and respond, then send a pigeon back. Even an owl like in the Potter movies.

The instantaneous demand of email, however, is something else (and the ones that follow seconds later with a text that asks, "Did you get my email," is even more inane. 

But I did narrow them down quite a bit.

Y'all, it's Friday. A day of Zoom K'boom and a really special event at a community theater to promote exactly what I believe in most....community. Human togetherness. What people working with people accomplish most...

...more on that tomorrow. 

For now, I'm just glad I got emails out of the 10,000s to a couple of hundred. That is so satisfying.