Monday, November 21, 2022

Much Smoother Wing-Flapping on the Way Home and Head to Pillow by 1 a.m. - Now to Recoup, Recover, and React. There's a Turkey to be Roasted

I broke down and bought earbuds for my phone, since I left mine home. This was great, because it gave me a location to listen to six hours of audio books with my eyes closed, while flying from L.A. back to New York State. Shuttle driver to the airport was humorous, as he had me call the passengers in the other hotels because he reported his "accent was too thick." Driving in LA and NY/Connecticut is so much easier on the weekend and away from rush hour.

I haven't had a chance to reflect on what an incredible job Kristin, Rich, and Janine did in their National Parks/Outdoor writing workshop. The design was amazing, offering storytelling-sharing, resources, and opportunity to play, too. I sat in the back of the room to take it all in, and it was phenomenal. There were many in attendance and they were soaking every word in, including the wonderful student work that Janine brought to share. As context, Kristin and Rich have been leading Reading Landscapes & Writing Nature with Weir Farm National Historical Park for several years now. Janine attended these workshops twice and has brought the out-of-school learning back to her classroom, getting her kids outside and threading what was offered into ways that she and her students love. I told NWP colleagues with me in the back of the room that it is amazing to watch from a distance...to really see the impact that work has had.

The photo was sent from Kristin, and also features Fola who was there to present on another project (the collaboration between two high schools) and we were about to leave the NWP social on Friday night (many of us still digesting steak from the night before). 

Shucks. Looking at the clock, I already see the agenda for the day starting with on-campus meetings. It sort of makes my stomach churn, only because I returned from a whirlwind of travel, obligations, reunions, and presentations. I can already feel my body saying, "No more." I don't want to get sick.

But here's to the weekend ahead and the beautiful people doing the work for NCTE and beyond.