Wednesday, April 13, 2022

It's Wednesday Morning...Day 3 of the 14-Hour Days and the Day After the 11th #VerseLove Writing Prompt (I Get Up Early. I Write)

 I was afraid of this prompt. I knew that if I opened any paper, I'd likely have sadness, sickness, tragedy, and discouragement to write about. I was "write." I debated on whether or not I wanted to go witty, but then remembered the first article I read yesterday was on Sandy Hook parents attending President Biden's meeting on taking more control of ghost guns. The directions were to read an article, let it marinate for a while, steal lines, and let a poem find itself.

It's pretty alarming when you think about it...disturbing, actually.

And yes, I left my house at 6:30 this morning to start the day. 

22 Years and Counting

~b.r.crandall


I was a month from student teaching,

still learning to dust chalkboards with 

language, history, and hope.

He brought a school project

to Paducah, but he didn’t know exactly why.

Maybe looking for love? Revenge?

Just him, a shotgun, and a pistol

after his sister drove the two of them

into another day.


There is still more work to do.


I was in my 2nd year when it became

history needing to be taught to future

generations…one of homemade bombs

and militia-mind maneuvers

game-played at a Colorado high school.

Our principal noted at the time,

“Schools will never be the same."


But what about the rights of the 

domestically violent and extreme, 

those that wear blue suits

& sunglasses, who go rogue 

in a hunt across state borders?

They have rights, too.

AK-47s, high capacity magazines.

Universal background checks 

are weapons that assault them

Ghost guns gone rogue.

Murderers. Carnival barkers on the radio.


No need to write names here.

They are not worth the poem.


I skipped teaching in 2012 - 

2nd year at the University…

needed a mental break…

went to see The Hobbit

(a bad habit of being a geek)

28 miles south of Sandy Hook.

Text messages. Phone calls…

20 sprites sitting on ABC carpets

learning to read and write.

8 souls who believed in them.

Today, I run for Vicki Soto.


Still more work to do..


They are seniors now…

kids welcomed as freshmen 

to a high school in Parkland…

planted in a field of Floridian possibilities.

They are the potential…the

blazing stars,  sunflowers, 

(shadows of Columbine),

jessamine, and honeysuckle,

who wanted to bloom

before fire opened “good morning,’

to what they’d know of their adolescence.

Covid followed, watering the “best years”

as their governor berated

them for wanting to be alive.


More work needs to be done.


This education we’re giving them.