Friday, April 29, 2022

Inspired by an Elementary School Student...her Mama Shared the Prompt. Love That Kids are Inventing New Poetic Styles, Too. Thank You, Jessica Wiley.

So, it goes like this: (1) 1st two lines should be 'When I'm by myself/and I close my eyes' (um, I adapted), followed by eight lines that begin with "I'm" and rhyme (I adapted), and the last five lines are "I'm whatever I want to be / An anything I care to be / And when I open my eyes / What I care to be / is me." 

Okay, I adapted, again, but I love the possibility of using this with K-12 student, especially those who are most reluctant to explore poetry. I entitled this "Declaration," but loved that Jennifer Guys Jewett said it reads like a Mantra. 

Okay, then. So, let it be. 

 Mi Mantra

  ~b.r.crandall

embraced with chaos & noise
the eyes stay open.

I’m internally 
joyously
brilliantly
honestly
foolishly
mindfully
victoriously
optimistically

reflecting, choosing, loving, speaking,
acting, thinking, trusting, & living
that’s how I choose to be…
…so, when I close my eyes,
I’ll always know, internally, 

I’ll always be me.