Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Finding the Right Words When The Right Words Never Exist... #VerseLove Challenge 19... How to Be...How To Be

18 years apart. Both killed by senseless guns. Wrong place, wrong time, chance. Sudanese refugees looking for a better life in the United States killed by the stupidity of Americans and their guns. I did not know Akol, but know his cousins and family. My heart also goes out to the Bility's and their proximity to the story. He was 11...12 years old when I left. 24 years young. 

I remember all the mentoring nights with James Kuch Mangui, too: the driving lessons, tutoring, learning poetry for the GED, and all the humor of guiding him during his arrival in Louisville. It's hard to believe that 18 years ago he was shot after a car accident. I never paid attention to how to arrange burials, but had to learn fast. He was young...so much promise....so much pain to see a death like this after the lives they had as children in Sudan. And I'm thinking of Miriam, too. Any young person who knew Akol and his family. 

The prompt for the day was to write "How to Be a...." but I was looking for "How to find the Right words." It's a lot, and I'm still processing. Last night, finishing of Muhammad's Cultivating Genius, I used the poem to discuss narrative, history, what gets taught in school, and why criticality remains important. Gholdy's text, once again, helped me to find meaning in the meaninglessness. 

How To Find the Right Words

     for Miriam Bility   

~b.r.crandall


There’s the blue sky, of course, 

the clouds, the sun, and

always the stories

of boys, girls, families 

on the run

hoping this elsewhere

might be a somewhere

that is safe.


Before Kuch was murdered

there was laughter,

his pontification of being named lost 

when he was right before us,

sitting on a front porch

with brothers, cousins —

Dinka and proud

nɛk puön dï

We are not boys,

we are men.

There was that time

he wondered, Why are you so wet,

when his car broke down 

at Bowman Field

and he needed a ride home.

I went for a run, I told him,

Oh, was a lion chasing you?

(just genetics

    and an attempt 

       to find answers

         where they seldom exist).


All wounds bleed

and communities remain in need

for several days (forever)…


fender bender, anger, guns.


I had 

my wheels

and prayers,

mentorship 

for the madness.


What’s the tradition,

I asked at the kitchen table,

when life is lost?

This land.

Neverland.

No man’s land.

Land of the free.

We sacrifice a cow

and we pray.


So I drove them 

to a cornfield in Indiana 

and pointed to black & white

milk-makers gnawing on grass.

Let me know which one.


We ended up at McDonald’s.

(It is enough, they teased.

As long as you pay for all of us).


There are also the sunsets,

sunrises no matter where we live,

the way evening stars bathe their shine

in oceans and lakes during the day.

There’s Amazing Grace, too, 

sung in a Church,

where voices of 200 men 

from southern Sudan

lift a spirit to the sky.

There’s that.


But there are no other words.


Rest in Peace, Akol Lual,

Syracuse, New York,

1998-2022

(the absurdity continues…)