Sunday, April 24, 2022

When You're Handed Down a Candle, and You're in Need of a Prayer. Poem 23 for April. And It's Sunday. A Good Day for Prayers.

The Verselove prompt. day 23, was to roll the cyber-dice and get three words to kick off a poem. I received: I am, Handed-down, and candle. I sketched out a draft poem a few weeks ago and I pulled it out of my bag to play with today's prompt. Of course, I also am posting this while watching Thunder Over Louisville, streamlined on WLKY via YouTube. It's time to kick off the Derby season, all the pomp and circumstance. 

I learned from my poem, though, that what I did was called a 'Golden Shovel' - that is, taking the lines of a verse and using those words to kick off another poem. For me, this has been the year of the serenity prayer, so to keep myself calm in faculty meetings, I've been saying the prayer to myself and thinking about it to ground what I'm able to accomplish and what I must let go. 

There's nothing like letting random words kick you into gear. So, here's to day #23.

I Am Handed-Down a Candle

How To Stay Calm at a Friday Faculty Meeting

~b.r.crandall


God, you’re such a whimsical soul. Some days you

grant me the ability to give thanks. Not today….

me with ear-steam, heart-wrath, and mind-fury, cursing 

the @#%# for the inconsistency. All I want is

serenity, calm, and a reason to believe there’s good…

to see hope, and to have patience to

accept the whack-a-doodle-ness of

the way their bureaucracy goes…operates…is.

things like zip-code apartheid, privilege, and the lies

I get told in the name of their power and privilege 

cannot be forgiven (but somehow they are) —

change rarely discomforts their structures,

the castle and brick, the diamonds and banks, & the churches giving them

courage to be burdened as they are, this whiteness that likes

to stand atop mountains with weapons, moats, and laws. Never

changes, because why would they want this?

The narrative written to glorify their hunt…

things to ponder (eyes of the needle? but there’s that camel).

I see it clearly now, the disease it’s always been, and I

can attest to the privilege, because I’ve tasted it…

and have become part of it, this hypocrisy in higher education,

the exploitation (something wicked this way comes). 

Wisdom & integrity rarely walk 

to the same drumbeat of morals, ethics, & justice. They

know more than the rest of us, because, well, they do

the ones atop mountains looking down on us. The

difference? The rest of us keep looking up, and we see.