Sunday, April 3, 2022

It's a Turning Point, I Believe, When the Home Nest is Semi-Settled, and You Help The Next Generation Settle into Their Own...A Step Up

I was up and out of the house before 8 a.m. yesterday morning, knowing that I really wanted to come home for final four match-ups, but an overly busy kid needed help transitioning to apartment number 2, this time an abode all his own...he's still renting, but definitely a step in the right direction.

It's amazing to see someone else accumulate so much stuff (like I have) and realize his home is building as mine once did. My kitchen set in Kentucky came from my grandmother Vera's in Sherburne, and I handed it over to Chitunga when he moved out a year and a half ago. Carrying it into the U-Haul, and seeing it in his new space simply reminds me of the quickness of it all, and how it all flows together. He's in a single now, good kitchen, great bedroom, better bathroom, and pretty amazing closet space. A new table cloth, some placemats. The kid is stepping up.

We accomplished a lot in 9 hours and last night he spent the night in his new digs all by himself. The apartment is in a great location and his complex is nice, including a gym which will be an additional bonus. He is working excessively hard and deserves all he's been able to set up for himself. 

And about his books. I'm proud. His library is growing, and what I've always loved about him is the fact that he's always pursuing news ways of knowing, ideas, and perspectives on this world. Now, I shouldn't say anything about the box of books that I tried to take out of the U-Haul by myself and the fact that I've already had two hernia surgeries. Ouch. I definitely felt that...so much that I had to ice my groin for hours afterwards.

It was a great day, post colonoscopy, and beyond a year of injuries. Happiness comes from the hard work of those you love most. 

A proud day, indeed.